Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Self-Portrait: A Cartoon (Basquiat)


T. Renner, "Self-Portrait: A Cartoon (Basquiat)," 2008, Sharpie on paper, 4" x 5.25".

O.K., I've been thinking about volunteering to teach an art class for at-risk teens. The idea I've come up with is to introduce them to the work of Jean-Michel Basquiat.

I recently came across a quote from Basquiat where he explained that he crossed out words in his paintings to draw attention to them. That is just so cool to me that I almost can't wait to share it with a bunch of kids.

Along the same lines, the cartoon above contains my age, something I'm becoming more and more loathe to share.

The exercise I have in mind would be for the students to draw a self-portrait using the digits on their age as a base.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

fun for a young guy

Poetry Scores said...

plenty of existing art programs you could plug into as a volunteer, they all promote to the American ....

Anonymous said...

400 years old? impressive.