Friday, February 26, 2010
"Re-Arrangements & Nu-Compositions": The Music of Charlie Parker at Nu-Art Series Metropolitan Gallery
T. Renner, "Improvisation for Charlie Parker #2," 2008, acrylic on panel, 19" x 17.5".
I have a number of my jazz-influenced works on display at Nu-Art Series Metropolitan Gallery, 2936 Locust Street, St. Louis, Missouri, through April 17. This exhibition coincides with Nu-Art Series Jazz Composers Series: "Re-Arrangements & Nu-Compositions," which presents a number of local jazz composers playing their own compositions as well as works by jazz masters.
Along with my paintings, photographer Roscoe Crenshaw exhibits 30 of his photos capturing jazz musicians in performance.
The concert schedule:
* Sat. Feb. 27: The Chad Evans Ensemble (the work of Charlie Parker)
* Sat. March 6: The Chris Burchett Quartet (the work of Thelonious Monk)
* Sat. March 13: The Anthony Wiggins Quintet (the work of Freddie Hubbard)
* Sun. March 21: The Willie Akins Quartet (the work of Sonny Rollins)
* Sat. March 27: The Jerome "Scrooge" Harris Ensemble (the work of Miles Davis/Wayne Shorter)
* Sat. April 3: JD Parran (the work of John Coltrane)
* Sat. April 17: The Stan Coleman Youth Jazz Band (the work of Duke Ellington).
Posted by Tony Renner at 7:00 AM