Friday, March 19, 2010

"Re-Arrangements & Nu-Compositions": The Music of Sonny Rollins at Nu-Art Series Metropolitan Gallery


T. Renner, "Improvisation for Sonny Rollins #4," 2009, acrylic on paper, 7" x 5".

I have a number of my jazz-influenced works on display at Nu-Art Series Metropolitan Gallery, 2936 Locust Street, St. Louis, Missouri, through April 17. This exhibition coincides with Nu-Art Series Jazz Composers Series: "Re-Arrangements & Nu-Compositions," which presents a number of local jazz composers playing their own compositions as well as works by jazz masters.

Along with my paintings, photographer Roscoe Crenshaw exhibits 30 of his photos capturing jazz musicians in performance.

The concert schedule:

* Sat. March 20: The Willie Akins Quartet (the work of Sonny Rollins)
* Sat. March 27: The Jerome "Scrooge" Harris Ensemble (the work of Miles Davis/Wayne Shorter)
* Sat. April 3: JD Parran (the work of John Coltrane)
* Sat. April 17: The Stan Coleman Youth Jazz Band (the work of Duke Ellington).

1 comment:

Janet Grace Riehl said...

Dear Tony,

I love how you merge your art and words. Taking jazz as an inspiration for your poetry is equally intriguing.

Also, it's a joy how you go beyond your individual art to promote the art of our community in St. Louis and the wider world.

My mission on Riehlife is to create connections through the arts and across cultures.

I'd love for you to write a guest post (or several) for Riehlife on the intersections of arts and communities in your work.

For National Poetry Month in April I feature a poem of the day. Send me a poem and a guest post and I'll post them together.

Yes?

Janet Riehl