Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Portrait of Don Van Vliet (After Anton Corbijn)


T. Renner, "Portrait of Don Van Vliet (After Anton Corbijn)," 2010, gouache on paper, 4.25" x 5.5".

This is a portrait of Don Van Vliet that I did shortly after hearing about his death earlier this year.

It's based on a photograph of Don Van Vliet by Anton Corbijn, who has collaborated on a book with Tom Waits.

In a recent interview, Tom Waits had this to say about Don Van Vliet (also known as Captain Beefheart):
I can’t say we were close friends, but he corresponded with a lot of people, and as he got slower and more incapacitated, he was on the phone a lot. And I had asked if I could call him, and I did. And he was very quick, and bright, and original and cultural right up until the end.

It seems as though you channel him a few times on [your new album] Bad as Me, especially in the title track.

Yeah, yeah, well, I hope so. Isn’t that what we all really kind of — we want to enter the culture, we want to enter the bloodstream and be part of the soil, so that when other people are growing they say, “I see that, I see that.” He was such a unique individual. I think he was constantly covering up his tracks. He was very secretive about his process. He was a riddle. And then you have his songs, and you have those to wonder about. I just played “China Pig” for an Australian radio show, and they said, “Pick a bunch of songs that you want to play,” and we put that on and it was really great to hear. That’s when you realize that words are music. Period.

No comments: